Friday, January 13, 2006

All Together Now



They arrived in the post this morning. (The KING OF THE ROADs, not the dogs.) First thing I did after ripping open the package was go and grab the siblings (DEADFOLK and FAGS AND LAGER) and introduce them. Luckily the family resemblance is strong and they accepted him straight away. So there you have it. A fucking trilogy, man! Now I can sit at the table of trilogists in the sky, alongside Mervyn Peake, Krzysztof Kieslowski (eat your heart out Swiercynski), and Sophocles. They might not talk to me, but I can still sit there.

Note the bottled golden substance in the background. This will come into play later, I can tell you. Ah, fuck it - let's have another picture:




* Note the deliberate ommission of Tolkien. Although initially published in three volumes, The Lord of the Rings is actually a single work**.

** This may not actually be true. I found it on wikipedia.

10 comments:

Jenny Davidson said...

VERY EXCITING!

can't wait to read it.

Anonymous said...

Jenny, you won't be disappointed. KING OF THE ROAD is one of the best crime novels to come out of Britain. Ever.

Mystery Dawg said...

Damn, look at all those sweet extra copies of those lovely books. Ok, how much for a signed set? Ha?

John Rickards said...

By the looks of those dogs, they'd set you back a fair amount, Aldo. They have that bouncer look that says, "Twenty quid? These are signed, sonny. Cough up fifty or we'll tear your arms off. Bloody amateurs."

Ray Banks said...

Yeah, and it appears one of them is wearing a bow tie. Or a bone. But I prefer to think of it as a bow tie.

Ray Banks said...

And further to Al's point, I second it. KING OF THE ROAD (a glossy copy of which I received yesterday - thankyaverramoosh Serpent's Tail) will cement thon thar Williams' position as one of THE most important British writers of this decade. And you can slap my balls and call me Susie if it ain't so.

Charlie Williams said...

Al and Susie - wow, what can I say to that? Probably best if I just say TYFYKW.

Aldo - hmmm... Good question. How much you got?

John - those dogs would lick your face right off. Easy.

Ray - yes, the dogs dress formal for dinner.

Anonymous said...

Excellent Charlie - and with praise like that from Al and Ray, how can I not rush out and get one immediately. I'm not sure the Man Utd football videos set them off suitably and I'm also SLIGHTLY nervous by the rest of the contents of your table. I think it was the roll of cling film, brightly coloured rubber glove and large what-looks-suspiciuosly-like-an-icebox that did it.
Donna

Charlie Williams said...

Donna - I notice you saw nothing suspicious about the hair brush.

Anne Marie said...

Your trilogy is beautiful!